…A country’s performance at the Olympics does not always mean that it has reached success at more meaningful metrics of well being and power (economic growth, employment, health, safety), but the two are not mutually exclusive. Creating and sustaining world class athletes takes resources and a culture that promotes competitiveness. The Olympics’ wide variety of events, from ping pong to weightlifting, also allows a country to showcase its diversity… (more) http://ow.ly/1lYE93
Tag Archives: London
Eastern European Forum, August 12, 2012
The rest of the world might still be thinking warm thoughts, but for the organizers of the next Olympic Games – the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics – there is a massive project underway to build a resort city on the Black Sea almost from scratch, and with it, the center of the universe for sports played on ice and snow.
- Palestinians thank Olympics for refusing moment of silence for Munich victims.. (iranaware.com)
- Munich survivor joins NY minute’s silence (thehimalayantimes.com)
- IOC honors Israelis killed in ’72 Munich Games (nypost.com)
- Israel fears attack on Olympics team (wwos.ninemsn.com.au)
(Agence France Presse) July 13, 2012
“Most Western intelligence agencies believe that Iran has not made the decision to acquire a nuclear weapon, but is amassing the capability to weaponise when it decides to do so,” analyst Dina Esfandiary of the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies told AFP.
“He (Sawers) seems to be completely glossing over that,” she said.
“At the moment, Iran has enough low-enriched uranium for four or five bombs if further enriched,” she said, explaining that only highly-enriched uranium can be used for weapons. (more) http://ow.ly/1louLh
- Iran plans to ‘strangle’ Hormuz if threatened (arabtimesonline.com)
- MI6 chief: Iran to have nuke arms in 2014 (upi.com)
- Iran submarine plan may fuel Western nuclear worries (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Iran Would Have Nuclear Bomb Now If UK Had Not Intervened: M16 Chief John Sawers – International Business Times (ibtimes.com)
- Experts: U.S. Cyber War on Iran Has Just Begun (israelnationalnews.com)
- CFR: The Turkish-Iranian Alliance That Wasn’t (foreignpolicyreview.org)